This week we continued with literary circle and book study, Con carino Amalia. Student have done a great job staying on track with their reading and reading log as well as digging deep in the analysis during our daily debriefs. This activity has provided us with great opportunities for discussions around the topic Cultural Heritage. It has also been a great context to put into practice our reading comprehension and thinking skills. Some included: making inferences, making connections, asking questions to clarify understanding. According to our calendar, we should have read until chapter 12,(Cuando no es possible deshacer lo hecho). Please make sure that your child comes to school prepared for our discussion on Monday.
This week went by so quickly. We spent most of our class time working on literacy projects. We did have a chance to start our investigation 2 part 2, and will continue working on this next week. The focus questions were: How would you describe the size of and distance between Earth, the Moon, and the Sun? How Big and How Far? Students grappled with the size and distance relationships among Earth, the Moon, and the Sun. Next week, they will work together to build a model of the Earth/Moon/Sun system. To work on this project, students will have to integrate mathematical concepts such a multiplication, division, proportions , measurement and vocabulary such as circumference, radius and diameter.
History & Geography
This week we continued studying the renaissance. Our objectives were:
- Review the definitions for vocabulary from the last 3 chapters
- Recognize the role various popes played as patrons of the arts during the Renaissance.
- Describe the building of St. Peter’s Basilica.
- Understand Florentine society of the 1400s.
- Identify the contributions to the Renaissance of Florentine artists.
- Understand the roles of members of the Medici family in Florence’s history.
- Explore and gain better understanding of Brunelleschi’s dome of the Florence Cathedral and of Michelangelo’s Dome of St. Peter’s Basilica
This week we continued working with dividing by 2-digit numbers, as well as order of operations and real world problems. Our objectives were:
- use efficient strategies to solve multi-step problems involving multiplication and division
- express and interpret the product or quotient appropriately
- Use order of operations to simplify a numeric expression
- divide a 2-, 3-, or 4-digit number by a 2-digit number
English Word Work
This week finished our rotation and began a new one. Our rotation days were:
- Writer’s Workshop: Students were able to begin a new writing piece or continue one they had already been working on
- Blind Sort Test:Students tested each other on their spelling using the Blind Sort method.
- Word Search/Teacher Meeting: Students worked on their word searches and met with me to discuss and understand their new sort
Our spelling test will be on Friday!