This week we focused on grammar and writing. Our objectives were:
- understand how to vary sentences and stay on topic within writing
- continue working on Halloween autobiography
- building a better understanding of what auxiliary verbs are by creating verb trees
- understand what topic sentences are and be able to identify the topic
- understand and be able to identify different types of sentences
This week we completed Chapter 3 Addition up to 10,000. Our objectives were:
- Review 4 digit addition with and without regrouping.
- Add greater numbers with regrouping in ones, tens, and hundreds
Remember that students should complete 50 minutes of Khan Academy each week!
We wrapped up our World Rivers unit this week. We discussed trade on rivers, worked on river research, took our unit assessment, and celebrated the end of our unit by wearing blue and sampling some “river” related food.
Our objectives were to:
• explain how Rivers help people trade with each other
• refer to a map and describe the locations of the Rhine, Danube, Volga, and Niger Rivers
• understand the meaning of the following domain-specific vocabulary: toll, manufactured good, network, and canal
Social Studies with Ms. Laura: We learned about Diwali, the Festival of Lights, with its many traditions. We heard the story of Prince Siddhartha, who grew up and became Buddha. We explored images of Buddha on the internet and drew our own images.
This week in our Animal Classification domain we learned about bird’s wings and feathers. We examine feathers from several different types of birds and we looked at Edgar to examine a bird’s skeleton. We continued our science experiment and looked at pollution impact on in amphibians and reptiles after an extended amount of time.
Our objectives this week were to:
• observe and describe basic characteristics of an animal
• identify fish, amphibians, reptiles, and birds as groups of vertebrates
• identify basic characteristics of birds
• classify particular animals as birds
• compare and contrast two groups of vertebrates
English Word Work
We took our spelling test on Thursday. Nice job everyone for being ready to take it a day early! In grammar this week we worked on linking verbs.